Markon Cooperative BB #:123315 released a Live from the Fields video October 19, showing the damage and significant yield loss in Salinas Valley lettuce crops caused by soil disease and plant virus issues.
In a report accompanying the video, Markon said:
• Salinas Valley lettuce markets are hitting record highs as demand far exceeds supply levels;
• The Impatiens Necrotic Spot Virus (INSV) has been extremely aggressive in large swaths of the Salinas Valley for over three months;
• Diseases such as Sclerotinia, Fusarium Wilt, and others have also caused die-off in many crops;
• Suppliers are running out of fields to harvest and expect the season to end early;
• The aerial footage in this video shows just a small amount of the kind widespread crop loss currently being recorded;
• Expect elevated markets and tight supplies for lettuce items until the desert season is in full swing in approximately mid- to late November.