Cancel OK

Stemilt Nielsen scan data shows promotion opportunity for Fuji apples


April 17, 2024 WENATCHEE, Wash. – Stemilt BB #:113654 Fuji apples are coming out of storage in high color strains and starches now turned to the sweet flavor consumers know and enjoy.

Stemilt marketing director, Brianna Shales, shares recent Nielsen scan data that shows untapped promotional opportunities for Fuji apples this spring and summer to help retailers drive volume to the register.

“If there was a time to put Fuji apples in the spotlight, this is the year to do so!” says Shales. “Volume is down 7% year over year between September 1, 2023, and February 24, 2024, with dollars down 14%. However, in July and August, Fuji sales have historically spiked as high as 15% of apple volumes and 14.8% of sales. Strong promotional activity will grasp consumer attention. The key is developing a robust promotion for Fuji apples during the summer months to drive more volume for the variety.”

Fuji apples are consistently the number three apple in sales and volume during the late spring and summer months of May through August. Over the past four years, Fuji has accounted for 13% of apple volumes and 12% of apple dollars sold between the May-August period. Regionally, the West Coast dominates Fuji sales as the number three apple variety which makes up 15.4% of apple sales.

“Pushing promotions in the West Coast region is going to be crucial to the success of Fuji apples,” says Shales. “One thing we’ve seen retailer success with is selling Fuji apples in 5 lb. pouch bags for both conventional and organic.
Bulk sales make up 54% of Fuji volume and the remaining 46% is in bags or other packages. Carrying the 5 lb. bag size serves the benefit of hands-off merchandising to create an enticing display space. You can also get larger fruit sizes in a 2 lb. or 3 lb. bag.”

Retailers can use Stemilt’s Artisan Organics® EZ Band for selling and promoting bulk organic Fuji apples in a sustainable pack. It features four large size apples that sit in a paperboard tray held together by a tension band.
With Earth Day approaching on April 22nd, EZ Band offers a convenient, recyclable pack of apples for consumers on the go.

“Stemilt is here to help retailers get creative with Fuji apple promotions and tapping into summertime holidays including Memorial Day and the 4th of July,” says Shales. “Our goal is to help the retailer win at the register by putting freshness, packing quality and proper storage back into the hands of consumers so they have a delightful eating experience. Together through strong promotion and quality apples, we can sweeten up the summer apple mix to bring more consumers to Fuji apples!”

About Stemilt
Stemilt is a family-owned grower, packer, and shipper of tree fruit. Owned and operated by the Mathison family, Stemilt’s mission is to cultivate people and delight consumers with its World Famous Fruits. Stemilt is a leader in sweet cherries and organic tree fruits, and a key supplier of apples and pears. The company stewards an environmentally sustainable and socially responsible business through its Responsible Choice® program, which has been in place since 1989. For more information about Stemilt, visit

Contact Information:
Brianna Shales
Marketing Director