Cancel OK

Peruvian citrus exports increase by 40 percent


From the beginning of the year until mid-August (from week 1 to week 33), Peru exported 198,996 tons of citrus, representing an increase of 40 percent when compared to the 142,092 tons exported during the same period in 2019, as reported by Agraria.

Luisa Fernanda Saavedra, the Commercial and Operations Manager of QC Fresh Fruit LLC, published an infographic on LinkedIn created by Fresh Cargo Peru reporting these figures and the current state of the Peruvian citrus industry.

It highlights the participation of the mandarin, especially the W. Murcott variety, in citrus exports from the country.

As reflected by the document, the main citrus varieties exported by Peru from the beginning of 2020 to mid-August are: W. Murcott with 61,920 tons (an increase of 57 percent); Satsuma 35,672 (an increase of 32 percent); Tango 29,042 tons (an increase of 76 percent); Minneola and/or Orlando 15,890 tons (a decrease of 2 percent); Valencia 10,656 tons (an increase of 65 percent); among others.

During this period in 2020, the main destination of Peruvian citrus was North America, having received 107,047 tons, reflecting an increase of 61 percent. This market also represented 54 percent of the total exported.

Europe followed with shipments of 70,251 tons (an increase of 24 percent) and receiving 35 percent of the total exported, along with Asia with 13,334 tons (an increase of 12 percent) and acquiring 7 percent of the total, Latin America with 7,654 tons (an increase of 19 percent) and a 4 percent share of the total, and Africa with 710 tons (an increase of 10 percent) and representing 1 percent of the total.

Consorcio de Productores de Frutas (CPF) is the main citrus exporter in Peru, having shipped 49,016 tons (an increase of 36 percent) from the beginning of the year until mid-August.


Marco Campos is Media Coordinator, Latin America for Blue Book Services