USDA/AMS Press Release:
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE — February 18, 2015 — Kirsch Mushroom Co. Inc. of 751 Drake Street Bronx NY, is recalling its Chilean Mushrooms that were purchased from Nov 1st 2014 to Dec 20th 2014 because they contained undeclared sulfites. Consumers who have severe sensitivity to sulfites run the risk of serious or life-threatening allergic reactions if they consume this product.
These Chilean mushrooms were sold to Sloan super market in Buffalo NY. Sloan has made label corrections of that may contain sulfites . Walk in customers have also purchased this batch of mushrooms from Nov 1st 2014 to Dec 20th 2014.
No illness or allergic reactions involving this product have been reported to date.
The recall was initiated after routine sampling by the New York State Department Of Agriculture and markets food inspectors and subsequent analysis by Food Laboratory personnel revealed the presence of sulfites in these Chilean mushrooms. There was no label on these mushrooms stating that they contained sulfites. The consumption of 10 milligrams of sulfites per serving has been reported to elicit severe reactions in some asthmatics. Anaphylactic shock could occur in certain sulfite sensitive individuals upon ingesting 10 milligrams or more of sulfites. Analysis of these “Chilean Mushrooms” revealed a sulfite level in excess of 10 milligrams per serving.
Consumers who have purchased these Chilean Mushrooms between Nov 1st 2014 and Dec 20th 2014 are urged to return them to Kirsch Mushroom Co. Inc. for a full refund. Consumers with questions may contact Kirsch Mushroom Co. Inc. at 718-991-4977.