November 17, 2022 — Markon Cooperative BB #:123315 released the following crop update.
California strawberry quality continues to recover after heavy rainfall in all California growing regions. Expect to see quality challenges and elevated markets for the next 7-10 days.
Santa Maria and Oxnard, California
• Volume remains limited; harvesting has been impacted by rain and cold overnight temperatures
• Quality concerns include soft skin, decay, white shoulders, and pin rot
• The industry is in a demand-exceeds-supply situation
• Expect strong demand and elevated markets through the month of November
• The season has begun; volume is beginning to increase after a slow start to the season
• Size is medium (approximately 19 to 23 berries per one-pound clamshell)
• Limited quantities have begun to cross into McAllen, Texas; volume will increase in late November/early December as size and quality improves
• Harvesting has begun in a very limited way; fruit will hit the market in early December
• Orders for Markon First Crop Strawberries are estimated to begin shipping the week of December 12