April Fool’s Day gives us all a chance to have a lighthearted laugh in the produce industry.
As a journalist, I prefer to call this Trust No One and Nothing Day (not to be confused with every other day where I verify everything before publishing…today is just a little extra step.) About a decade ago, I wrote a gag story about StrawBeeps, a combo pack of strawberries and marshmallow Peeps, that actually got picked up by a news aggregator site. Never. Trust. Anyone.
I saw a few press releases and social media posts from our friends out there in the produce world having some fun with “announcements” today. Here are some of my favorites:
- It’s no secret that Frieda’s loves purple, so now they’re selling a purple avocado!
- Not to be outdone, Country Sweet is selling an Indigo Sweet Potato.
- Naturipe is all about snacking and innovation – how about a single-serving blueberry?
- Move over Cosmic Crisp. Washington State Department of Agriculture has released a new Murder Hornet apple variety – definitely spices things up a bit.
- Martian Farms is being extra sneaky with back-to-back news releases, one on March 31 about opening a facility in New Jersey and another on April 1 about using opera music to make lettuce grow from seed to harvest in three days.
- And we can transport all this new produce in Ifco’s new zebra RPCs.
- Or, we can just have NO Produce at all.
Did I miss any?