Why is wellness so difficult to achieve? If we could manage obesity, type 2 diabetes, lower our risks of heart disease, stroke, some types of cancer, macular degeneration, cataracts, cognitive decline and Alzheimer’s by consuming more fresh fruits and vegetables – then why aren’t we? Well, the fact is, change is hard!
Wellness is an interactive process of becoming aware of and practicing healthy choices to create a more successful and balanced lifestyle. Wellness is the framework that you can use to organize, understand, and balance your own growth and development. It is a continuum of self-care, giving yourself permission to get off track and get back on track, and remembering to celebrate your successes along the way.
D’Arrigo California BB #:114843 has partnered with Stephanie Bouquet, a registered dietitian, certified specialist in sports dietetics, certified diabetes educator and certified wellness coach to share simple and holistic ways to find wellness and balance this new year.
“We have been in the business of growing fresh fruits and vegetables under the Andy Boy label since 1923 and we want to highlight new approaches to inspire families to find balance that leads to a healthier lifestyle as we come out of a challenging 2020 year. To help us on this wellness journey, we reached out to Stephanie, C.E.O. of SB Nutrition, as a professional in this field her knowledge and experience make her the perfect partner,” stated Claudia Pizarro-Villalobos, D’Arrigo California, Marketing and Communications.
“As creatures of habit, we must jump in with both feet to start something new that will revolutionize our health outlook and results. It begins with simple daily practices, prepping meals ahead of time, and finding healthy recipes that inspire you in the kitchen and help you attain your wellness goals,” stated Stephanie Bouquet.
• Make family cooking at home fun. As some say, “families that cook together, stay healthy together.” Also, family cooking promotes fun family time.
• Encourage your kids to help plan the menu. Kids love to get involved in the kitchen (especially making a mess!) and when they are part of the prep and cooking process they are more willing to try new dishes.
• Purchase healthy snacks to promote smart “nibbling” choices. Stock up on plenty of fresh fruits, vegetables, and whole grains. Try to curve snacks that are high in fat, calories, and sugar.
• Get moving. Aim for at least 30 minutes of moderate physical activity every day.
• Find a workout partner. A partner will help keep you accountable and inspired to power through workouts.
• Stay hydrated. Drinking water keeps you hydrated, feeling full, helps maximize physical performance and lubricates your joints, spinal cord, and tissues. Health experts recommend eight 8-ounce glasses per day (8×8 rule).
• Learn to slow down. It takes roughly twenty minutes for the brain and stomach to talk to each other to establish fullness. If you slow your rate of eating, you might find a smaller portion goes a lot farther which also fairs favorably to your waistline.
• Get enough sleep. Shoot for 6-8 hours of sleep nightly to help regulate appetite, fullness, and blood sugar levels. Try to go to sleep nightly at the same time and avoid distractions (electronic devices, caffeine, and alcohol) close to bedtime for peaceful slumber!
A simple way to increase produce consumption starts with meal preparation and what you put on your plate. Stephanie shared, “Some of my favorite Andy Boy veggies are broccoli rabe, fennel and sweet baby broccoli. If you need inspiration in the kitchen, check out the trendy and delicious recipes created by influencers that your family and friends are sure to love.”
Trending Influencer Recipes featuring Andy Boy Produce:
• Broccoli Rabe Tropical Power Smoothie
• Fennel and Arugula Salad
• Instant Pot Thai Green Curry with Broccoli Rabe and Chicken
• Sweet Baby Broccoli Pho
• Romaine Heart Poke Wraps
• Beet, Fennel and Sweet Potato Crostini
• Broccoli, Pepper and Turkey Bacon Egg Bites
Embracing change may not be easy but you can do it! It starts with creating a health and wellness plan that incorporates daily behaviors to help you feel refreshed, replenished, motivated and energetic. “Start anew every day knowing that exercise, meal preparation, and a balanced diet with a high intake of produce holds tremendous health benefits,” stated Bouquet. “Let’s spread health in 2021 and inspire families to increase their intake of fresh fruits and vegetables to live a more balanced life.”
About D’Arrigo California
From the day the company was founded in 1923 by Stefano and Andrea D’Arrigo, two immigrant brothers from Messina, Sicily, innovation has been its hallmark. In addition to its conventional and organic vegetable product line and wine grapes, D’Arrigo offers strategies and solutions to its customers in everything from seed research and development, food safety and sustainability, to entirely new approaches to packaging, harvesting and shipping. The company’s brand, Andy Boy®, is known for signature products like broccoli, broccoli rabe, fennel and romaine hearts. D’Arrigo California grows not fresh quality products year-round, but also provides services that include cross docking, consolidation, custom growing and commercial cooling. Visit andyboy.com to learn more.
About SB Nutrition
Since 1993, Stephanie Bouquet has been a practicing registered dietitian with a focus on weight control, diabetes management, and sports nutrition counseling. SB Nutrition provides individualized nutrition consultations, educational seminars and classes, athletic team presentations, corporate wellness programs, and much more. Visit sbnutrition.net to get informed, motivated and on track to reach your nutrition and wellness goals.